What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: Tool Box Talk COSHH
Select a size
1 Management must carry out a risk assessment to find out whether:
• exposure to a substance can be eliminated
• alternative work methods can reduce exposure
• a less hazardous substance can be used
2 Any substance with a hazard warning label has the potential to cause harm – assess the risk before using it.
1. How you could be affected by a hazardous substance:
• ingestion – eating contaminated food
• inhalation – breathing harmful dust or fumes
• absorption – chemicals entering through cuts etc.
2. Examples of hazardous substances in the cleaning industry
• heavy duty cleaners, such as acids and alkalies solvent fumes
3 Don’t mix chemicals or substances
1 When using hazardous substances, wear the correct PPE.
2 Know how to look after and use PPE correctly.
3 Know where washing and first-aid facilities are on site.
4 Ensure hazardous substances are put back into a secure location after use and are not left out on site
Use of Substances
1 Make sure you are trained to use any substances
2 Read and comply with the information on the hazard data sheet and the instructions on the product label
3 Don’t eat, drink or smoke when any substances are present or to be used
4 Don’t expose workers to fumes, dust, gas or other dangers from hazardous substances due to your work
5 Always wash at the end of each shift and before eating.