What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: Community minutes 14-09-15
Select a size
Thakeham Parish Council
COMMUNITY COMMITTEE MEETING – Monday 14 September 2015
Meeting opened: 6.00 p.m.
Present Mr A Hunt Mrs C Hounslow
Ms C Instance Mr D Scott Kerr
Mr N St Clair Mr R Taylor
In attendance Mr O Richards Clerk to the Council
1. Election of Chairman
Cllr Instance was elected to the Chair of the Committee.
2. Election of Vice-Chairman
The Committee agreed that a Vice-Chairman was not required; in the absence of the Chair the committee would agree on a chair for the meeting.
3. Apologies for absence
There were none.
4. Interests of Members
No interests were declared.
5. Terms of Reference and Membership
5.1 For its inaugural meeting the committee noted its Terms of Reference and that its quoracy statement complied with general Standing Orders.
5.2 The committee noted that there was no formal obstacle to the future co-option of non-councillors as members of the committee (or as members of task-and-finish groups), and that this would be particularly desirable, given its remit to develop community engagement.
5.3 The committee noted that its meetings are open to the public and people interested in helping to build the Thakeham community would be encouraged to participate.
6. Neighbourhood Plan (NP) adoption: pre-referendum communications
Without seeking to influence voting direction, pre-referendum communications should aim to maximise turnout by emphasising the importance of voting. The referendum timing was probably now December. Members agreed that it would not be appropriate or cost-effective to provide every household in the parish with hard copy of the NP. It was agreed to begin drawing-up a communication plan by consulting with the TNP Working Group and by asking parishes with successfully adopted plans what they did (action: Chair+Clerk). There was an expectation that obvious lines (newsletter, website, NP Facebook page) would be used, and support for an approach that involved assigning streets to councillors and members of the TNPSG to knock on doors.
7. Communications Strategy
After discussion the Committee agreed, at this stage, broadly to retain and evolve the current balance of website and newsletter communications, with improvements in these directions:
Website – revamp to coincide with current contract renewal in February 2016. Probably to keep sourcing this cost-effectively through a third party, but in a way that significantly improves the site’s attractiveness, responsiveness on small devices, and scope for customisation. The option to allow multiple site editors is desirable. (action: Clerk)
Newsletter – to retain the quarterly 2-sided approach and layout of Summer 2015 edition, but seek more contributions, and advertise for a volunteer editor to assist the Clerk. (action: Clerk)
Facebook – to evolve the NP page. (action: Cllr Instance to liaise with TNPWG)
Presence in local magazines: Sussex Local and RH13. (action: Clerk to check details + any costs)
Engaging new residents: set up property sales alert and send greeting pack (action: Clerk + Cllr Scott Kerr to draft; to include latest newsletter and general introduction to the parish)
8. Engaging other community groups
After discussion the Committee agreed to compile a list of contacts with community groups and community service providers, which should include groups based outside the parish but attracting parish residents, including:
Churches (St Marys, but also other denominations, e.g. Quakers, Jehovah’s Witnesses)
Clubs/Societies (Gardening Club, Bridge Club, Scouts, Womens’ Institute, Museum Group W Chiltington, Morris Dancers)
Businesses which provide community services (e.g. White Lion; nb. this is a different mode of employer liaison from Neighbourhood Planning Committee)
Activities (Ramblers, Cycling Clubs)
Events-based (organisers of Thakeham Festival)
Community service providers (e.g. Age UK (Horsham District), local GPSs, some sections/schemes run by HDC/WSCC, e.g. Adopt-a-Street scheme
Other (e.g. Village Hall Committee, TVA)
As well as seeking to engage these groups better with Parish communications, it was agreed to scope a possible Parish-based village event in Summer 2016 (see item 10 below).
9. Safety and Security matters
Cllr Hounslow volunteered to investigate setting-up local Neighbourhood Watch scheme(s). In relation to police liaison, members agreed that there was limited value in a PCSO attending TPC (or Community Committee) meetings unless that PCSO was the one responsible for Thakeham. (action: Clerk to liaise with PCSOs). Members noted that Cllr Instance would report back from a briefing event on 8 October regarding the possible introduction of a local ‘Warden’ role, and that there may be value in future liaison with Sussex Police crime prevention team as the Abingworth development progressed.
Members agreed that the key priorities over the coming 9 months would be:
Autumn 2015: Neighbourhood Plan referendum communications
Spring 2016: Website revamp/re-launch
Summer 2016: new parish-based Village Day
11. Any other business
There was none.
Meeting closed: 7.30 p.m.
Date of next meeting: Monday, 16 November 2015 at 6.00 p.m. (Rescheduled from 9 November)
Item Task By whom By when Progress 6 TNP Pre-referendum communication plan
Contact parishes with ‘made’ plans for models.
Consult TNP Steering group
Bring back specific proposals
CI + Clerk
CI + Clerk
19/10/15 7(i) Website revamp for winter 2016: draft costed proposal. Clerk 16/11/15 7(ii) Newsletter: seek contributors/volunteer editor Clerk 2/10/15 7(iii) Evolve/re-purpose NP Facebook page: liaise TNPWG CI 16/11/15 7(iv) Sussex Local + RH13, check details + any costs Clerk 25/9/15 7(v) New residents: set up property sales alert Clerk 25/9/15 7(v) New residents: design greeting pack DS-K+Clerk 19/10/15 8 Compile list of group contacts Clerk 19/10/15 9 Investigate setting-up Neighbourhood Watch scheme CH 16/11/15 9 Liaise with Police re. PCSO/other officer attendance Clerk 19/10/15 10 Village Day 2016: find experienced organisers of similar events, to begin setting up task group Clerk 16/11/15
Minutes TPC Community Committee – 14 September 2015
- 2 -
Other (e.g. Village Hall