What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: TPCMinutes 16-09-19 draft
Select a size
Minutes of Thakeham Parish Council Meeting – Monday 19 September 2016, Thakeham Village Hall
Meeting opened: 7.30 p.m.
Present: Mr A Hunt Mrs C Hounslow Ms C Instance
Mr E Linnell, Mr D MacEachern Ms F McConnachie
Mr N Prince Mr D Scott Kerr Mr R Taylor
In attendance Cllr P Arculus County Council
Cllr J Blackall District Council
Cllr D Jenkins District Council
Mr O Richards Clerk to the Council
Members of the public
82. Apologies for absence
Apologies were received from Cllrs Smith and St Clair.
83. Interests of members
No interests were declared on any of the agenda items below.
84. Minutes of the last meeting
Members approved and signed the minutes of the last meeting of the Parish Council held on 18 July 2016, and noted that the following matters had been actioned under delegated authority since the last meeting:
- Financial information in lieu of August meeting (11 August 2016- ratified under 6(a) below)
- Agreed response to HDC re. Neighbourhood Plan examiner appointment (18 August 2016)
- Agreed update to the Winter Emergency Plan for submission to WSCC (26 August 2016).
85. Report on Action Items
201.2 Abingworth stakeholders/assets: initial proposals for governance model now sent to the Village Hall Trust, who were due to consider on 26 September. Members would be updated on developments.
247 Monaghan’s Mushrooms’ commitments re. investment on the Chesswood site. HDC have confirmed discharge of relevant conditions. There would be a tour of the site on 28/29 September (action: Clerk).
38.2 Margins of Furze Lane playground: Cllrs Smith, MacEachern and Clerk still to meet (action: Clerk).
54 Water Lane roundabout S106 highways monies – efforts had continued to progress this via WSCC – see agenda item 11.
58.3 Thakeham Tiles footpath meeting - done (24 August 2016)
66(7) Winter Emergency Plan 2016/17 - done (2 September 2016)
71. Village Design Statements –see agenda item 10
74. Donation request Age UK Horsham – actioned.
86. Correspondence – the following recent correspondence was noted:
Abingworth Phase 2 – pre-application liaison regarding possible change of housing mix;
Outcomes of ‘Working Better Together’ survey – previously circulated
Neighbourhood Plan: correspondence with HDC leading to appointment of Mr J Mattocks as NP examiner commencing 12 September (indicative timeline to complete by mid-October 2016).
Local Government Boundary Commission final report received – no local impact; see
Road Safety/TROs etc. – see item 11
Rights of Way: engagement with WSCC – see item 11.
Request for donation from St Marys Youth Group re. Bonfire event (see item 6d)
Sussex Police – notification of new local liaison contact arrangement (post-PCSO changes)
87.1 The items approved for payment by circulation in August 2016 were ratified.
87.2 Financial Performance
A report on the current financial year to 31st August 2016 was received. Members noted that fcrecast outcome remained on track with budget, and that Cllr Linnell had recently reviewed and confirmed the bank reconciliation situation. Members noted that Environment Committee would shortly be bringing-forward some proposed expenditure for maintenance of High Bar Lane playground. Subject to the NP examination outcome, costs relating to pre-referendum communications might soon arise (and would be overseen by Community Committee).
A report on current bank balances was tabled and the following items were approved for payment:
C A Blundy: Litter Warden
Greenserve (outdoor maintenance August)
Horsham District Council (Dog waste bin emptying Oct-Dec 2016)
Office Depot (Viking) - office stationery supplies
Gross salaries including PAYE/NI, Clerk’s expenses, pension
88.4 Donation request relating to November bonfire event
Council agreed in principle to support this event, and asked Cllr Instance and the Clerk to explore options with Revd Spencer, including assistance with advance publicity. Specific proposals would be brought back for approval. (Action: Clerk)
88.5 The Chair and Cllr Linnell flagged the intention to re-convene the Budget Review group in October, on the same basis as it had worked in 2015, involving Chairs of sub-committees. (Action: Clerk to convene)
89. Planning – major current developments
The Chair and Clerk updated on the current situation. In relation to phase 1 (plots 1-21) the full sales launch was scheduled for 1 October (including permanent sales tent). Construction was proceeding with a view to completion by the end of 2016, with possibility of first occupancies in December. Work on plots 22-39 would commence in the New Year. A residual S106 condition relating to finishes of community buildings had recently been cleared. Following initial tree clearance, groundwork for the 20 keyworker units was due to start in early October. Roadworks to both north and south access junctions would be ongoing through to December. Parish concerns relating to the sharp slopes at the edge of the football field would be addressed via some re-grading work, but the northern access junction needed to be completed first. There had been no further developments relating to phase 2 housing mix. The community would be able to give its input on the expected revised application via an open meeting.
89.2 Water Lane
Cllr Scott Kerr reported that there had been a change of site manager for the Crest Nicholson development. House sales were continuing to lag well behind expectations, but first house occupations were due in October. A set of proposed amendments to the boundary/planting arrangements for the scheme had been reviewed by Cllrs Scott Kerr and Prince and comments to HDC had been agreed by circulation.
90. Neighbourhood Plan
Further engagement with HDC colleagues and actions agreed by circulation of members in August had led to the appointment of Mr J Mattocks as examiner. Mr Mattocks had been provided with relevant documentation and began work in w/c 12 September, with an indicative timeline to produce his report by mid-October 2016. Members again thanked Steering Group colleagues for their continued work.
91. Parish Design Statement
After a recap by the Clerk on the status of village design statements (VDSs) in relation to Neighbourhood Plans, members noted that the parish’s NP currently being examined retained a cross-reference and undertaking to update the 2002 VDS. The process/criteria for HDC to re-adopt a revised VDS was also noted, including the desirability of getting local input from outside the PC during the stage of re-drafting the VDS. This could be addressed by getting input from members of the NP Steering Group. It was agreed to reconvene the group tasked with updating the VDS, and to circulate several VDSs from other parishes as templates. Council left it to the group to agree a specific further timeline of work, while agreeing that (subject to the NP examiners’ comments) it would be desirable to complet this work as soon as possible, e.g. by the end of 2016. (Action: Clerk)
92. Road Safety developments
Members noted with dismay that Highways had rejected the TRO application for a reduced speed limit south of Picketty Corner, and agreed the need for further pursuit of options to improve signage, visibility and road surface treatments at that junction. The application relating to the Crays Lane/B2133 junction had been deemed not suitable for a TRO per se, but Highways had agreed to schedule signage/visibility improvements. The TRO application for the B2139 south from Jackets Hill was still under consideration and would be decided at the November Chanctonbury CLC meeting. There was a direct connection between this TRO application and ongoing attempts to get WSCC support for a new safe walking/cycling route from central Thakeham to Storrington (as all viable routes for this path would at some point run alongside this section of the B2139). This was now being pursued via a ‘community highway scheme’ application, to be submitted early October.
Council felt extremely frustrated with the ongoing lack of coordinated support from WSCC in relation to road safety matters and in particular noted that the urgent need for a safe walking/cycling route for children attending Thakeham Primary School when relocated to the Rydon site in September 2017 had been created by decisions taken by WSCC itself. Cllr Arculus flagged that she would continue to challenge the bureaucratic considerations blocking a sensible, coordinated and timely response. Council would be kept updated on this process. (Action: Clerk/Cllr Prince/Cllr Arculus)
Cllr Instance reported that the crossroads signpost for northbound traffic approaching the Sprouts Lane/Saucelands crossroads on the B2139 had fallen, and the one for southbound traffic was overgrown. (Action: Clerk to report)
93. Committee timetable 2017
Council approved the draft meetings timetable for 2017, subject to these points:
Environment Committee’s April meeting to be in w/c 17 April, probably in St Mary’s Tea Room;
Community Committee would meet in June (before TPC on 19 June) rather than May;
The start time of the Neighbourhood Planning meeting of 22 May should be 18:30.
94. Internal Audit recommendations
Council noted the update on implementation of the Internal Auditors’ recommendations and approved new policies:
Protocol for Parish correspondence and consultation requests; and
Protocol for Gifts and Hospitality received by councillors
Code of Conduct for Employees.
The remaining internal audit recommendations would be addressed in early 2017.
95. Neighbourhood Planning Committee minutes
Council received the minutes of the Neighbourhood Planning Committee meeting held on 25 July 2016.
96. Community Committee minutes
Council received the minutes of the Community Committee meeting held on 20 June 2016.
97. Environment Committee minutes
Council received the minutes of the Environment Committee meeting held on 18 July 2016.
98. Reports from Councillors
98.1 Further to the concerns covered by item 92 above, Cllr Arculus referred to the ongoing need to pursue improvements to road safety around the Water Lane roundabout, and the fact that the current Rydon situation meant that none of the schools were in a position to lead themselves on ‘safer routes to schools’. This underscored the need for a WSCC-led response. Cll Arculus also clarified that, as far as WSCC were concerned, decisions relating to the Rydon CC site from 2017 had been made and were final.
98.2 Cllr Blackall reminded members that HDC’s cost savings drive looked certain to include a move to fortnightly household waste collection (along with related operational/equipment changes) and a system of charging via annual permit for rural car park use.
98.3 In response to a query from Cllr Hounslow it was confirmed that the October meetings of Environment Committee and Parish would review further the Winter Emergency Plan, including the possibility of adding a salt bin for Furze Common Road.
98.4 Cllr MacEachern flagged the increasingly dangerous state of loose fallen branches by the B2139 at Jackets Hill. The Clerk noted that previous reporting of this problem to Highways had not elicited action but undertook to report the matter again, including bringing it to the attention of C Stark.
98.5 Cllr Prince reported two current cases where the PC was being consulted about possible re-routing of footpaths by residents who had recently bought properties in the parish.
98.6 Cllr McConnachie flagged that the steps from The Street to the Glebe Field were disintegrating; the Clerk undertook to report (action: Clerk).
99. Public Participation Session
99.1 In response to a query from a member of the public it was confirmed that Cllr Taylor would be representing the parish at the HDC South Development Control meeting of 20 September, which was due to consider the revised proposal for Snapes Corner from Gladmans Developments.
100. Chairman’s Announcements
There were none.
101. Any other business for noting or inclusion on a future agenda
There was none.
Date of next meeting: Monday 17 October 2016 at 7.30 p.m.
Meeting closed: 8.45 p.m.
DRAFTelation to road safety matters and in particular noted that the urgent need for a safe walking/cycling route for children attending Thakeham Primary School when relocated to the Rydon site in September 2017 had been created by decisions taken by WSCC itself. Cllr Arculus flagged that she would continue to challenge the bureaucratic considerations blocking a sensible, coordinated and timely response. Council would be kept updated on this process. (Action: Clerk/Cllr Prince/Cllr Arculus)
101. Any other