What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: TPCMinutes 17-04-24
Select a size
Minutes of Thakeham Parish Council Meeting – Monday 24 April 2017, Thakeham Village Hall
Meeting opened: 7.30 p.m.
Present: Mr A Hunt (Chair) Mrs S Friend* Mrs C Hounslow Mrs C Instance
Mr E Linnell Mr D MacEachern Mr D Scott Kerr Mr R Taylor
*New member co-opted under item 191
In attendance Cllr P Arculus County Council
Mr O Richards Clerk to the Council
Members of the public
1. Apologies for absence
Apologies were received from Cllrs McConnachie and Prince, and District Cllrs Blackall and Jenkins.
2. Interests of members
No interests were declared on the agenda items below.
3. Minutes of the last meeting
The minutes of the last meeting of the Parish Council held on 20 March 2017 were confirmed, subject to minor corrections to items 177.1 and 184.5.
4. Member vacancies
The Chair introduced prospective Cllr, Mrs Sarah Friend. After members had noted her resume, Cllr Hunt nominated Mrs Friend to fill a vacancy on the Council, which was seconded by Cllr MacEachern, and it was agreed that Mrs Friend be co-opted as a member of the Council. A declaration of acceptance of office was received from Cllr Friend.
5 Report on Action Items not otherwise raised under items on this agenda
201.2 Abingworth stakeholders. Ongoing work, reported under item 10.
264.2 Re. Water Lane roundabout S106 highways monies: TPC has sought to re-focus WSCC attention on this via the Rock Road schools site planning proposals.
147 Newsletter format: the option of re-joining the local Bulletin arrangement now looked possible for the Summer edition (action: Clerk/Cllr Instance)
159.5 Abingworth bus shelter repairs: now going ahead with expected completion early May.
160.2 Meadowbrook boundary planting issues: satisfactory outcome achieved, see item 8.2
167.2 Furze Common Road repairs: it was confirmed that the first of two phases of works was underway
178.1 Abingworth phase 2 S106 funding uplift for the Village Hall. A criteria-led case for £28K uplift had been submitted and accepted by HDC within proposals for the 25 April HDC Devt Cttee meeting.
179 NP referendum outcome communications. Completed.
182 Annual Parish Meeting: W Sussex Community Minibus Association attending; Sussex Police declined.
183 Pedestrian RoW past Rock Rd shops Raised again as part of response to WSCC Rydon proposals
183 Village Hall materials. Further iterations with the Village Hall Trust; the matter is with the developers.
184.2 More information about TPC precept increase on website. Completed.
184.3 Pavilion Close road sign . Completed
184.5 Monaghan’s lighting situation. Raised with Monaghans but would need follow-up (action: Clerk)
187 Dog waste signage. HDC now offering help with signs; need to agree best locations (action: Clerk).
6. Correspondence – the following recent correspondence was noted:
WSCC: procedural correspondence re. WSCC/HDC elections in May 2017;
WSCC: Revised 74/A bus timetable;
TNP-related: Positive outcome to NP; schedule for HDC to ‘make’ the plan – cf. item 9;
Finance: HDC confirmation that the 2017/18 Environmental Cleaning Grant is in line with budget;
Liaison with the Thornton family regarding memorial arrangements and event on 10 July (see item 7.2);
New HDC consultation: Travellers Site Allocations Development Plan - to be circulated shortly.
SSALC: Health & Wellbeing Report – previously circulated.
7.1 Financial Performance
A report on the current financial year to 31 March 2017 was received, and Cllr Linnell confirming that the final year-end outcome was in line with recent forecasts, i.e. a modest overspend of £478 against budget, for detailed reasons noted in the report. It was also noted that Cllr Linnell had reviewed and confirmed the year-end bank reconciliation.
April 2017 payments: A report on current bank balances was tabled and the following items were approved for payment:
C A Blundy: Litter Warden
Greenserve - regular mowing
Horsham Association of Local Councils (annual subscription)
West Sussex ALC/NALC (annual subscription)
Surrey Hills Solicitors (Abingworth assets advice)
Sussex Toilets (advance payment for Village Day toilet hire)
Viking office supplies inv. 698350
Gross salaries including PAYE/NI, Clerk’s expenses, pension
Members also authorised the spending of up to £700 on arrangements relating to a memorial for Ellie Thornton in the High Bar Lane play area (including bench, tree planting and costs relating to a community dedication event planned for 10 July). Cllrs Friend and Instance undertook to help the Clerk in liaising with Ellie’s parents in relation to planning this event.
7.3 Charity donation
Members agreed to donate £150 to Surrey, Sussex and Kent Air Ambulance in memory of Ellie Thornton. (Action: Clerk)
8. Planning – major current developments
The Clerk updated members on ongoing liaison with HDC planners and Abingworth Homes regarding phase 2 proposals, in advance of the HDC Development Committee South Committee meeting of 25 April. Members also noted that a further site visit had been arranged for 10 May, and that an issue relating to fence lines and a footpath had arisen and satisfactorily addressed. There had been considerable further contact with Abingworth Homes regarding the delivery timeline for the new Pre-School facility, which, due to delays with letting the construction contract, now appeared doubtful for the start of the 2017/18 school year. Members noted that this was an unacceptable breach of previous assurances which could have very serious implications for the Pre-School operation, and agreed that urgent efforts should be made to find a workable solution, and that any associated costs/losses should be borne by the developer. The Committee also noted that Oakford Homes had now undertaken to provide regular sales updates to the parish, and that there had been a recent surge of 9 plot reservations.
8.2 Meadowbrook (Crest Nicholson, Water Lane)
Cllr Scott Kerr reported that all units in this development were now constructed or under construction. Of the 46 open market units, 12 had been sold and 4 more reserved, which Crest Nicholson regarded as satisfactory. Additional and adequately safe fencing had been installed around the front entrance/culvert. A satisfactory outcome seemed to have been reached regarding the boundary planting issues previously reported – the implementation would be monitored.
Cllr Hounslow queried whether sufficient reassurance had been gained in relation to previously-flagged safety concerns around the attenuation pond area (fencing, overhead power cables). The Clerk advised that these issues had recently been revisited in the context of a neighbor enquiry, but it was agreed to make final checks (action: Cllr Scott Kerr, Clerk).
8.3 Other potential major developments
It was reported that TESLA (Water Lane, Storrington) intended to apply for significant expansion of their manufacturing capacity in fields adjoining their existing facility (wholly within the Thakeham boundary), which would require consideration of a range of potential benefits and disbenefits. Cllrs Hunt, Taylor, Prince and Scott Kerr would lead pre-application engagement with TESLA (which would also involve colleagues at Storrington & Sullington PC) and would report back to TPC. (Action: Clerk, Cllrs named)
The Chair also updated members on the situation relating to Thakeham Tiles (envisaged within the Neighbourhood Plan to provide further housing subject to the current business relocating). Consultant architects had now been appointed with a view to pre-application proposals emerging by late 2017.
9. Neighbourhood Plan
Members noted that, following the positive outcome of the referendum of 22 March, HDC were due to ‘make’ the Thakeham Neighbourhood Plan on 26 April 2017. The Chair reiterated Council’s gratitude to the members of the NP Steering Group for the fantastic job they had done, despite many delays and legal worries beyond their control. It was agreed that there should be a celebration of this outstanding outcome, and that it would be appropriate to integrate this with the upcoming Annual Parish Meeting of 15 May, to which all members of the Steering Group should be invited. It was also agreed to give further exposure to the finalised NP in the information tent at the Village Day event of 17 June. (Action: Clerk).
10. Abingworth assets governance model
Council noted a paper updating on latest developments with this project. It was agreed to press for additional guarantees to ensure that football changing facilities would be available no later than the start of the 2018/19 season. It was also agreed that sufficient progress had now been made to submit the parish’s formal request to HDC to transfer the Abingworth assets to TPC as they are delivered (beginning with the pre-school building). This proposal would contain financial modelling of proposed arrangements for the various assets, and timelines to achieve a self-sustaining financial position, particularly in relation to the Village Hall (which stood to gain a £28K uplift to its S106 funding as part of phase 2 proposals). The Chair and Clerk would bring forward a draft of this proposal for comment by full TPC and other stakeholders as soon as possible, with recourse to further legal advice as necessary. (Action: Chair/Clerk)
11. Annual governance statements: review of assurances
Council noted and endorsed a paper evidencing grounds for giving positive assurances to the key Annual Review questions that TPC will be asked to sign off on at its next meeting. Cllr Linnell confirmed his agreement with the paper’s assertions.
12. Neighbourhood Planning Committee minutes
The minutes of the Neighbourhood Planning Committee meeting held on 27 March 2017 were received.
13. Environment Committee meeting – oral report
The Clerk reported that the Environment Committee meeting of 20/4 had focused on these issues:
Reflections on a successful Village Tidy event of 8 April (although it was noted that vegetation growth had been an issue and a slightly earlier date might be considered next year);
Memorial arrangements for Ellie Thornton at High Bar Lane playground;
Ongoing incidents of vandalism at High Bar Lane playground (to be mentioned in the next newsletter; attempts will be made to get at least occasional visits by PCSOs);
Consultation re. new play equipment at High Bar Lane – in addition to a young focus group, it is proposed to do an A5 flyer to nearby streets in June/July, with a questionnaire to rank different options;
Bus services – further reduction of the 74/A service, hence the need to think further about Community Transport options, beginning with the upcoming Annual Parish Meeting;
Traffic calming – the need for safety, including lighting as necessary on new crossings/pinch-points;
Members were reminded about the Annual Village Walk on 1 May (meet at Village Hall car park, 10am).
14. Reports from Councillors
14.1 Cllr Arculus updated members on her impression that various parts of WSCC were now working to support the PC’s aims for improving road safety on the B2139, in conjunction with the HDC planning process. Members welcomed her ongoing support in this regard.
14.2 Cllr Hounslow queried whether anything could be done to protect new planting around the Abingworth south entrance from being stolen. (Action: Clerk to flag the risk to Oakford Homes)
14.3 Cllr MacEachern reported on temporary school bus crossing arrangements during the current works.
15. Public Participation Session
A member of the public noted that the TESLA proposal (item 8.3 above) may be an opportunity to address the safety issue for pedestrians/cyclists on Water Lane caused by parking on double yellow lines. It was also reported that the Village Hall trust had updated its membership arrangements to allow additional elected/co-opted members, and the Trust was liaising with local football clubs and Oakford Homes in relation to equipping the Abingworth football fields. The new defibrillator was due to be installed on the current Village Hall very shortly, and a training session was being organised.
16. Chairman’s Announcements
17. Any other business for noting or inclusion on a future agenda
Members noted the upcoming Annual Parish Meeting of 15 May, which would be followed by drinks to celebrate the successful conclusion of the Neighbourhood Planning process.
Date of next meeting: Monday 15 May 2017, at 6.15pm, followed by the Annual Parish Meeting at 7.30pm
Meeting closed: 9.15 p.m.. It was agreed to press for additional guarantees to ensure that football changing facilities would be available no later than the start of the 2018/19 season. It was also agreed that sufficient progress had now been made to submit the parish’s formal request to HDC to transfer the Abingworth assets to TPC as they are delivered (beginning with the pre-school building). This proposal would contain financial modelling of proposed arrangements for the various assets, and timelines to achieve a self-sustaining financial position, particularly in relation to the Village Hall (which stood to gain a £28K uplift to its S106 funding as part of phase 2 proposals). The Chair and Clerk would bring forward a draft of this proposal for comment by full TPC and other stakeholders as soon as possible, with recourse to further legal advice as necessary. (Action: Chair/Clerk)
A member of the public noted that the TESLA proposal (item 8.3 above) may be an opportunity to address the safety issue for pedestrians/cyclists on Water Lane caused by parking on double yellow lines. It was also reported that the Village Hall trust had updated its membership arrangements to allow additional elected/co-opted members, and the Trust was liaising with local football clubs and Oakford Homes in relation to equipping the Abingworth football fields. The new defibrillator was due to be installed on the current Village Hall very shortly, and a training