What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: Copper Mining Lab - data sheet
Select a size
Copper Mining Lab: Data sheet and Post lab
Mass of Erlenmeyer Flask_________
Mass of Ore ____________
Mass of Iron _____________
pH of iron sulfate solution _____________
mass of filter paper _______________
mass of filter paper + extracted copper ______________________
Mass of extracted copper __________________________
Mass of Flask + Tailings ________________________
Mass of Tailings ______________________________
1. Calculate the theoretical yield.
How much copper could theoretically be derived from ____ g (your ore mass) of azurite? What percentage of the mass of azurite is copper?
____ (moles) Cu x ________ (molar mass of Cu) = ________
____ C x _________ = ________
____ O x _________ = ________
____ H x _________ = ___+_________
Mass of azurite =
Proportion of Cu:azurite = ___________
Theoretical yield: ___________________ (proportion Cu x mass of ore)
Actual yield: _________________ (mass of extracted copper)
% Theoretical yield: ______________________ [(actual / theoretical) x 100%]
2. What are mineral resources and how are they extracted? (use lab background info and text chapter 14 to help answer questions)
3. How are mineral ores typically processed? How is heap leach extraction different?
4. A mineral goes through various steps of extraction, processing, and use. What are some environmental consequences at each step of the process?
5. Mineral resources are nonrenewable. How much time do we have before we “run out”? How can we extend the depletion time?
Name________________________________________ Block___________ Date____________________