What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: Lab_Safety_Scenarios_-_life_science
Select a size
Laboratory Safety Scenarios
In each of the following situations, write yes if the proper safety procedures are being followed and no if they are not. Then give a reason for your answer.
1. Gina is thirsty. She rinses a beaker with water, refills it with water, and takes a drink.
What rule is broken? Not drinking or eating from lab equipment.
2. Bram noticed that the electrical cord on his microscope is frayed near the plug. He takes the microscope to his teacher and asks for permission to use another one.
What rule is broken? No rules are broken, he did the right thing.
3. The printed directions in the lab book tell a student to pour a small amount of hydrochloric acid into a beaker. Jamal puts on safety goggles before pouring the acid into the beaker.
What rule is broken? None. That was the smart thing to do.
4. It is rather warm in the laboratory during a late spring day. Anna slips off her shoes and walks barefoot to the sink to clean her glassware.
What rule is broken? Always wear closed toed shoes.
5. While washing glassware, Mike splashes some water on Evan. To get even, Evan splashes him back.
What rule is broken? No horseplay.
6. During an experiment, Lindsey decides to mix two chemicals that the lab procedure does not say to mix, because she is curious about what will happen.
What rule is broken? She didn’t follow the proper instructions.
7. Lauren is wearing flip flops during a field study at the nature center. She gets a rash on her toe when she walks in the woods.
What rule is broken? Always wear closed toed shoes
8. A student is dissecting an earthworm. During the dissection, the sharp scalpel slips and seriously cuts the student’s finger.
What rule is broken? Being careful with sharp objects.
9. Diana and Mike were going to be late to their next class. After rushing to put away a few materials, they left the rest of the materials on the lab table.
What rule is broken? Always clean up after yourselves.
10. When students walked into the classroom, they saw lab materials on their desks. They were curious about the contents but patiently waited for their teacher’s instructions.
What rule is broken? No rules were broken.
Life Science Name date hr