What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: Solar energy April 3th
Select a size
The Report of solar energy
Members names :
Ethel Isabel Dylan Raywood
2016. 3. 31
Teacher’s name :
First step : CREATE A PLAN Group members :
Ethel : Organize the things we should do, assign the tasks, check the final results. Isabel : Design the main idea of our topic, and take a big part in drawing and writing.
Ethel and Isabel : Do the main part of the report, organize the information and write the things we did during the project.
Dylan : Collect the materials we need, and take a big part in making our model.
Raywood : Do the researches and take a big part in making our model.
Dylan and Raywood : Do the main part of the model building.
The date we began
Record what we did
Organize the research
Organize the solutions and draw the pictures
Draw the final 3D and
Translate and organize the final solutions
Decorate the product
From 21th ~31th
From 22th ~ 23 th
From 25th ~ 25 th
From 28th ~ 28 th
From 28th ~ 29 th
From 31th ~ 31 th
From 4.2th ~ 2 th
Do the research
Research 3 solutions
Create a 3D model in the paper
Search the final materials
Cut the panels , create the basic top part
From 21th ~ 21 th
From 24th ~ 24 th
From 29th ~ 29 th
Make the timeline
Write the life cycle (materials)
the final materials
Paint the box
Assemble the two parts
From 22th ~ 22 th
From 28th ~ 31 th
From 30th ~ 30 th
Search 3 solutions
Search the final solutions
Calculate the scale and the datas
Stick the Aluminum foil and make the bottom
Second step : BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Background information :
What is solar energy: “Solar power is energy from the sun and without its presence all life on earth would end. Solar energy has been looked upon as a serious source of energy for many years because of the vast amounts of energy that are made freely available, if harnessed by modern technology.” (V. Ryan 2005)
How it works: The conversion in Light-heat-electricity. Generally used solar collectors will absorb the thermal energy for the refrigerant vapor, then steam to drive a steam turbine-driven generators. The previous procedure for the light-heat conversion, the latter process for thermal-electricity conversion.
Solar power in Canada: Canada has plenty of solar energy resources now, the main applications of solar energy technologies in Canada are: non-electric active solar system applications for space heating ; water heating . Just like: In 2001, there were more than 12,000 residential solar water heating systems and 300 commercial/ industrial solar hot water systems are in use. These systems presently comprise a small fraction of Canada’s energy use.
Solar power in China: “China is the fastest growing solar PV (Photo Voltaic) market in the world now.” The utilization of Solar energy resources in our country is very rich, with more than two-thirds for a whole area in the whole country, the annual sunshine time is greater than 2, 000 hours, annual radiation dose above 5 000 MJ/m2, has good resources condition of utilizing solar energy. The use of solar energy mainly in solar heat utilization and solar photovoltaic power generation, such as: solar hot water, the sun room, solar oven, heating, air conditioning, solar drying, desalination and industrial heat . As well as the public daily life can use power supply and power system to figure the difficulties in electricity. Especially for the remote areas.
The advantages of using solar energy: Solar energy is energy, it’s renewable energy. It is rich in resources and is free to use, without transportation, without any pollution to the environment. It even created a new kind of life form for human, society and humanity into an age of save energy and reduces pollution.
The disadvantages of using solar energy:
1. The total amount of solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface is large, but energy density is very low. So, when the use of solar energy want to get certain conversion power, often required more areas and conversion equipment, it will cost more money.
2. Because of latitude and altitude and other natural conditions limit in seasons and other effects of random factors, solar power will be not that stable.
Third step: RESEARCH 3 SOLUTIONS
 Solar oven
Solar oven is a solar energy into internal energy and heat energy, the solar energy absorption in the paper, the quantity of heat that converts the energy to cook food, can save a lot of energy consumption.
Materials: Two boxes Newspaper or shredding
Black construction paper 4 pieces of cardboard The razor
Reflective material Eight support bar Double-sided adhesive
Solar oven, use no power consumption, long service life and polluting the environment, is the ideal energy shortage region, as long as there is the sun, can use the solar oven. Solar oven is a completely mature solar energy can replace electronics products.
Cannot be stored energy, can only be used in sunny conditions.
 Solar light
Solar energy lamp is by the solar panels are converted to electricity. During the day, even in the cloudy day, the collected solar energy generator (solar panels), energy storage needs. Therefore, solar energy, is used to produce electricity. Solar energy as an "inexhaustible, an inexhaustible" safety, environmental protection, new energy more and more be taken seriously
Materials : A clear jar that has a lid (make sure it is a decent size)
Some frosting spray Blue Tak
Solar panel Battery pack
Advantages ： Save energy
Disadvantages ； The light is not that bright
 Solar charger
Solar charger solar charger after is to convert solar energy into electrical energy stored in the storage battery, the battery can be any form of electricity storage devices, generally by solar photovoltaic cells, batteries, pressure regulating device of three parts
Materials : 2 x Flexible solar panel 0.8W, 2V
DC-DC step up converter charger with USB female DC 2.5V-5V
6 x Sugru single-use foil packs Soldering iron
Some solder Red and black wire Wire stripping tool
Tubing, like irrigation pipe or a straw, something similar, not too bendy as it needs to support the panel, 2 x 11-12cm long
Pill box Voltmeter
Advantages ： outdoor power shortage in easy to use, can charge anytime and anywhere. Easy to carry.
Disadvantages : low power solar energy conversion rate is not high, solar battery charging more slowly.
Forth step: CHOOSE AND DESIGH ONE SOLUTION
We chose to make the solar oven.
1.Tools and Materials ：
• Corrugated cardboards
• Shredded papers
• 2 Cardboard box • 1 bucket of black paint
• Utility knife • 1 Meter stick and 1 ruler
• Felt tip markers • Aluminum foil
• Paint brush •Glue
•1 Stainless steel plate
•Color card papers •Scotch tapes
•Food: 2 eggs
Life cycle analysis :
For painting walls
Painting the boxes
Painting other things
For Writing or drawing
Keeping the food warm
Writing or drawing
For holding some big mails
Using it to make the oven’s body
For cutting the paper
Cutting the cardboard box
Cutting the paper or other things
Pasting the oven
Measuring the cardboard box and use it to calculate the plotting scale
Felt tip markers
Stainless steel plate
Found it in Mr.Sandy’s classroom
Asked it from a construction side
Used to draw the pictures
For the last project
For serve the foods
Keeping the warm and collect the sunshine
Paint the boxes
Label the points for measuring
Decorate the boxes
Serve the food
Fix the edges
Parceling the food
Keeping it for painting other things
Drawing other projects
Use the rest to decorate other things
Serving the food
A) Prepare the Reﬂective Panels
1. Using a meter stick and markers to draw the outlines of the reﬂector segments on your cardboard. Use the measurements on the blueprint template.
2. Using the utility knife, carefully cut out the 4 cardboard segments. Use a ruler or straight-edge to help guide your cuts. Extend the blade only as far as necessary to cut through the cardboard.
3. Carefully unroll enough aluminum to completely cover one section. Keep the foil as smooth and ﬂat as possible. Wrinkles and creases in the foil will reduce the efﬁciency of the reﬂector.
4. Using the paint brush, apply a thin layer of white glue over the entire surface of the cardboard. Spread the glue right to the edge of the cardboard. Use the ﬂat edge of a piece of scrap cardboard as a squeegee to spread the glue out evenly.
5. Before the glue dries, place the foil on the cardboard shiny side up, and smooth it down over the entire surface. Press out any wrinkles, bubbles, or creases in the foil.
6. Using the utility knife, trim the foil so that it is ﬂush with the edge of the cardboard all around. Set the panel aside to dry.
7. Rinse the paint brush thoroughly under the tap to remove any glue.
B) Join the Panels
1. Cut 8 pieces of scotch tapes to 60 cm long and set them aside (stick them to the edge of the table for easy retrieval).
2. Carefully position the ﬁrst two panels, keeping a 2 mm space between them. Position one of your 60- cm strips of duct tape over the joint between the panels. Press it onto the joint, being sure it sticks securely to both panels over its full length.
3. Join the third and fourth panels as in step 3 above.
4. Carefully ﬂip the joined panels over on the table. This may require two people. Reinforce the joint between each panel using another strip of duct tape.
5. Stand your reﬂector up (foil side in), bringing the edges of the outer two panels together. Have your partner hold the reﬂector in position while you add the last piece of duct tape.
6. Finish the last joint inside the reﬂector by applying the remaining piece of duct tape
C) Add the Insulated Box
1. Using the scotch tapes, fasten the cardboard box securely to the bottom of the reﬂector by its ﬂaps. Be sure the box is centered. Add a few strips of duct tape to the corners.
2. Shred some useless papers by tearing it lengthwise into thin strips. Stuff shredded paper into the gaps between the box and the reﬂector. Leave a little of the paper on the bottom of the box. Use the tapes to fix in the end.
D) Heat transfer
1. Using the brush, apply the black paint evenly over the inside of an aluminum foil loaf tin. Set this aside to dry. It may be necessary to apply two coats of the paint to ensure full coverage of the aluminum.
2. Same thing to the external of boxes.
E) Decorate the boxes
1. Using some color card papers to decorate our boxes in our styles.
F) Prepare the food and test
1. Assemble the two parts of solar oven: Reflective panels and the bottom baking box
2. Beat the egg into the stainless steel plate
3. Put the plate into the bottom of baking box.
3. 2D and 3D drawings of the solar oven
1 ： 5 1 ： 4
1 ： 4 (The scale between the real product and drawing)ng the paper or other things
1. Using the scotch tapes, fasten the