What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: chapter_7_new
Select a size
Visualizing Technology, 2e (Geoghan)
Chapter 7 The Internet
1) The Internet was originally created as a communication system for the ________.
A) Department of Education
B) Department of Defense
C) U.S. Congress
D) University System
Ref: Objective 1 Recognize the importance of the Internet
2) The first point-and-click graphical Web browser was ________, which later became Netscape.
D) Internet Explorer
3) The original uses of Internet were ________ and ________.
A) research, health care
B) education, commercial
C) research, education
D) social, health care
4) Which of the following is one of the purposes for the development of the Internet2?
D) The Internet2 does not exist
5) One benefit of using a fiber optic backbone for the I2 is ________.
A) it is easier to install
B) the data is less prone to corruption
C) it is less expensive to install
D) all computers have the wiring to accept fiber optic signals
6) There are many different ________ that offer different options for depending on the Internet service plan you choose.
Ref: Objective 2 Compare types of Internet connections
7) A data transfer rate is measured in ________ per second.
8) The least expensive form of Internet connection is usually ________.
9) Which of the following is true about cable Internet access?
A) It is universally available.
B) You share the cable with your neighbors.
C) It is slower than dial-up.
D) Speeds range from 1 Kbps to 100 Kbps.
10) Which of the following is NOT true about DSL?
A) It uses phone lines to carry digital signals.
B) You must be within 10 miles of the DSL service provider's facility to have service.
C) It is less expensive than cable Internet access.
D) The farther you are away from the provider's facility, the slower your connection.
11) Your ________ can be used as a wireless access point to connect your laptop to the Internet when you are traveling.
D) None of these can operate as a wireless access point.
12) If you use satellite Internet access, you can expect the speed to be comparable to those of a ________ connection.
B) cable Internet access
13) Programs that interpret HTML to display a Web page are called ________.
A) Web trackers
C) HTML readers
D) Web browsers
Ref: Objective 3 Compare popular Web browsers
14) Which of the following is NOT a Web browser?
15) ________ is the most commonly used Web browser.
16) Google released a Web browser called ________ in 2008.
17) If you access the Internet through a browser on your smartphone, you are using a(n) ________.
18) You can access the Internet on your Kindle by using a(n) ________ browser.
19) A third-party program, such as Adobe Reader, is considered to be a(n) ________.
20) You would install a(n) ________ if you wanted to add a special feature to capture video from the Web to your Web browser.
21) In the URL http://www.nasa.gov, http is the ________.
C) domain name
Ref: Objective 4 Demonstrate how to navigate the Web
22) In the URL http://www.nasa.gov, nasa is the ________.
D) domain name
23) Which of the following is an example of a URL?
24) You would use FTP to ________.
A) log in to a secure Web page
B) transfer files
C) surf the Web
D) None of the above
25) 188.8.131.52 is an example of a(n) ________.
B) domain name
D) IP address
26) If you enter the search term "Apple AND iPad" into a search engine, which of the following would you expect to find in the results?
A) A picture of an apple
B) An article on the Apple website for the MacBook Pro
C) An advertisement for the Apple iPad
D) A blog titled: "Uses for My iPad"
27) Which of the following is NOT a Boolean operator that can be used to search the Web?
28) When you are looking for a source of information for a term paper, which of the following websites would most likely be a credible source?
Ref: Objective 5 Discuss how to evaluate the credibility of information found on the Web
29) An example of a restricted top level domain is ________.
30) If you are looking for information on airplanes, a credible source would be ________.
Copyright © 2013 Pearson Education, Inc.
17) If you acc