What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: Product and Pictorial Log 3
Select a size
Product Pictorial Log #3
Saturday, October 12 11:00 Am - 3:00 Pm (4 Hours)
This Saturday morning I headed up to Joe's house thinking it would be an ordinary day of working on my truck. Little did I know it would the most stressful. Let me tell you that dropping a 600 lb. motor inside a lifted truck isn't so easy. While putting it in I had to watch every single tiny move I made because the wrong move could either dump the motor and destroy it or damage the engine compartment of my truck. Once I got the motor above the engine bay, I had to slowly drop it down inside the truck and make tiny adjustments to get it to line up with the motor mounts. After finding that there was a little notch on the side motor that was causing it hang up and not full drop into place I had to take it out and grind it down. Once this was done I tried again. It went down easily but lining it up with the mounts wasn't. I had to do a lot of pulling and pushing for it to fit in place. Once this was done and the motor was dropped in, I began to put the rocker arm assembly together before we could hook anything else up. After I put the top end of the motor together, I then began to bolt the transmission and starter on the motor. I got to say that the starter was a pain. It took forever to get it on because I kept dropping the nuts and bolts and once I got on, I realized it was on upside down and so I had to take it off and put it back on the right way once again. Once I got this out of the way, I could finally put the finishing touches on the motor and begin to hook up all the belts and electrical systems to it. After this was all said and done it was time for the moment of truth. It was time to start this beast and see if all the hard work and time had paid off. It surely did and the motor started right up on the first crank!
In this picture I am clearing everything out of the way so when this MONSTER of a motor goes in it doesn’t hit or damage and vital parts!
Now that the beast was in the motor I was able to put together the rocker arm assembly which u can see on the top of the motor where the springs and push rods are. Each part I put on made me more and more excited to start this thing up!
After I got done assembling the motor, I had to get underneath the truck and begin mating the transmission to the motor and also I had to hook up the start. This was probably the most frustrating part of the day because I got super dirty and had to bolt on the stupid start twice!
Sunday, October 13 9:00 Am - 11:30 AM (2 hours & 30 min
After getting the motor all dressed up and got it running we called it day and decided to continue the next day. I came back up early Sunday morning to get an early start. All we had left to do was top off all the fluids and tune the carburetor. Once all this was done I was able to take my truck home!
After the truck was able to run it still needed a few adjustments. The carburetor need to be adjusted for the new motor like the correct amount of air to fuel ratio so its burning the fuel efficiently.
Here is the finished product and man I got to say it looks pretty darn good!!!
Saying this project was a bit of a learning curve is the least to say. There was so much more to go into this than I ever expected. It was a great experience for me because even though it was a rough couple of months on this thing Loved every second of it. I gained so much knowledge on how engines operate and how every little part inside has a purpose. I'm not trying to brag but I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself for building something like this mostly on my own. This whole project has really opened my eyes on how things work and what I am capable of doing.