What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: Continental Drift Webquest 2012 (1)
Select a size
CONTINENTAL DRIFT: A QUEST FOR INFORMATION
Name: _________________________ Period: _______
Answer the questions below using the following website:
Read the introductory paragraph.
1. It has been proven that the Earth's present continents were once together as a Pangaea as seen from:
Click the “Piece” icon at the bottom of the page to advance one at a time, through the next few screens to answer these questions.
2. How do the continental coastlines support the theory of Continental Drift?
3. Explain how fossil evidence supports Continental Drift.
4. How do distinctive rock strata (layers of rock) support the theory of Continental Drift?
5. How does coal distribution support the theory of Continental Drift?
When you finish with the questions, click on “The JavaGame”. Click on the link “For Newer Browsers”. Click the gray box that says “Load Puzzles of the Earth Java Game”. Read the instructions and play the game.
Please go to the following website:
CONTINENTAL DIVIDE: BREAKUP OF PANGEA
1. Continental Drift states that Pangaea split into two halves: _______________________________ and ____________________________________.
2. Laurasia split into ________________________________ and ___________________________________, while Gondwana split into _________________________, ________________________, __________________________, ___________________________, and __________________________________.
CLICK ON CONTINENTAL PUZZLE.
3. What two continents appeared to fit together like and puzzle?
________________________________________ and _____________________________________
4. Who discovered that the continents fit together? _________________________________________________________
CLICK ON FOSSIL EVIDENCE
5. Based on fossil evidence, the fossils found in Antarctica are similar to species found on other ____________________________ __________________________.
6. The southern continents at the time of Pangaea form what supercontinent? _______________________________
CLICK On MORE FOSSILS
7. What kind of life was found on Antarctica millions of year ago?
CLICK ON TILLITE
8. What is tillite? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
9. Tillite is found on Antarctica. Name one other continent it has been found on. ___________________________
CLICK ON ANDEAN MOUNTAINS
10. Mountains in _________________________________ and ______________________________ are believed to have formed as the same mountain range.
Put your mouse on the RED ARROW and drag it to see how the continents break apart.
CONTINENTAL DRIFT: A QUEST FOR INFORMATION
Name: ___KEY________ Period: _______
1. __continental coastlines appearing to fit together_________
2. ___fossil distribution_________________
3. ___distinctive rock strata_________________________
For example, The west coastline of Africa fits together with the east coast of South America just like a jigsaw puzzle. They were once together and broke apart to form 2 different land masses.
Matching reptile fossils have been found in Africa and South America, allowing reptiles to travel back and forth. Fossil ferns have been found on all southern continents. These ferns grew in similar climates and soil.
Geological structures of the rocks in South West Africa and South East Brazil are distinctively identical. The age of the rocks is also the same.
Coal has been found underneath cold Antarctica. Coal grows in warm, moist locations. This means that Antarctica was attached to the other continents and was warm and humid. It was formed BEFORE Antarctica drifted away from Pangea.
1. Continental Drift states that Pangaea split into two halves: __Laurasia________ and _______Gondwana_________.
2. Laurasia split into __Eurasia_________ and ___North America_______, while Gondwana split into __Antarctica____, ____Africa___, ____Australia____, __South America__, and __the Indian subcontinent__.
___South America________ and __Africa_______
4. Who discovered that the continents fit together? ____Alfred Wegner___________
5. Based on fossil evidence, the fossils found in Antarctica are similar to species found on other __Southern________ ____continents____.
6. The southern continents at the time of Pangaea form what supercontinent? __Gondwanaland______
___Trees, ferns, dinosaurs, amphibians, and later marsupials________________
8. What is tillite? __rocks formed from the deposits of ancient glaciers_____________
9. Tillite is found on Antarctica. Name one other continent it has been found on. _____Africa______________
10. Mountains in __South America_____ and __Antarctica______ are believed to have formed as the same mountain range.
LICK ON TILLITE
1. It has