What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: ENGL 092 DeVry Complete Week Discussions Package
Select a size
ENGL 092 DeVry Complete Week Discussions Package
Downloading is very simple, you can download this Course here: http://mindsblow.us/question_des/ENGL092DeVryCompleteWeekDiscussionsPackage/4945
Contact us at: email@example.com
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 1 Discussion 1
Reading Strategies (graded)
OK, here we go! I'm going to ask you to answer some questions from your reading in the textbo
Downloading is very simple, you can download this Course here:
Contact us at:
OK, here we go! I'm going to ask you to answer some questions from your reading in the textbook. Please submit your answers in the thread below and then submit it to the Dropbox. You will find a tutorial for the Dropbox uner "Assignments".
• On page 20, you will find ten vocabulary words that have been taken from the essay on "Health". Write the definitions of these words.
• As you continue reading the essay (pages 20-26) answer these questions:
1. What didn't you know before reading the essay?
2. What do you agree with?
3. What do you disagree with?
You may stop reading at "Thinking and Writing After Reading".
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 1 Discussion 2
Reading and Writing Processes (graded)
Please read pages 34-38. They are full of suggestions to help you get started when you write an essay.
• Tell me which of these techniques you feel will help you the most or will be most useful to you:
1. Brainstorming and free-writing
4. Idea mapping.
• Then read page 39 and answer these questions:
1. What is an essay?
2. What are the three parts of an essay?
• Now, read pages 40-42. You may stop at Exercise 2-6. I hope you are getting a sense of how to approach the best way to write essays.
• Next and lastly, please read the "Reading Module #1".
1. What are the five reading strategies they mention? (Don't do the box, "Expert Says")
2. Watch the video and do the "On Your Own Exercise #1.
Of course, you are going to put your responses in the thread below and then into the Dropbox. Thanks!
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 2 Discussion 1
Review of Lecture in Week 2 (graded)
From the Lecture in Week 2, you will find the answers to these questions:
1. What are the steps in "A typical Paragraph's Structure"?
2. What are the 4 stages in the "Writing Process"?
3. What is a "Thesis Statement"?
I suggest you keep the answers to these questions in your notebooks as they will be helpful during the next few weeks. They will also be helpful when you take the final exam! Please write the answers in the thread.
Now, please write a paragraph on any topic. Be sure that it follows the steps you have just read about. Remember, your paragraph should have a thesis statement. Please put it in the thread and the Dropbox.
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 2 Discussion 2
Summarizing and an Essay (graded)
Please read the story, "A Note to Parents", by Ruben Navarrette, Jr on pages 272-274.
• Write a SUMMARY of this story, using your own words.
• Write an ESSAY about parenting. Before writing it, however, organize your ideas. Open up your notebooks and use brainstorming or outlining or an idea mapping or some way to help you figure out what you're going to write. I encourage you to review pages 459-464 in the textbook. Remember to write at least three paragraphs.
• REVIEW your masterpiece before submitting it to me in the thread and the Dropbox! This step is extremely important!
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 3 Discussion 1
Earth-Sun Relationships (graded)
Read “Earth-Sun Relationships” by Frederick K. Lutgens and Edward J. Tarbuck (located in Chapter 12, beginning on page 552).
Preview the reading by reading the introduction, the headings, and the first sentence of each paragraph. Employ your five active reading strategies and read the essay.
How did you used the five active reading strategies to help you understand the reading: Prediction, Questioning, Visualizing, Making Connections, Summarizing?
• What did you predict from the title?
• Give one or two examples of what you visualized as you read the text.
• Did you make connections to your own experience and knowledge of meteorology?
• What was unfamiliar in the text that you questioned or wondered about?
• Write a one or two sentence summary of what you think Lutgens and Tarbuck want the readers to understand about the relationship between the earth and the sun.
Please put your answers in the thread and in the Dropbox.
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 3 Discussion 2
Please read the Week 3 "Reading Module #2".
What are the definitions of the following words:
1. Root Word
4. Context Clues
Please put your definitions in the thread and the Dropbox.
Next, watch the video at the bottom of the page of the Reading Module #2. After watching it, watch the five little video presentations that you'll find under the main video box. You do not need to do the "On Your Own Exercises#1".
Please read pages 541-544 and answer the following questions:
1. What is a Literal Meaning?
2. What is a Connotative Meaning?
3. What is a simile?
4. What is a metaphor?
Write a sentence using a simile and another sentence using a metaphor.
Read "The Power of Advertising" by Elliot Aronson, Timothy D. Wilson, and Robin M. Akert on pages 676-680.Please answer questions 1-4 in Exercise 2.that you will find at the end of the essay. (I suggest you read the questions before you read the essay.)
Lastly, please write an honest assessment in the Journal as to how this class is going for you, including any suggestions. It will help me to help you!
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 4 Discussion
Read the Week 4 Lecture (graded)
Please read the Week 4 Lecture and tell me the three components of a good essay.
Be sure to do the two "Expert Says" exercises. How did you do?
Please watch the extra videos at the end of the lecture.
Once you have done these things, do the hand-out on subject-verb agreement I will give you. We will correct these exercises in class together.
The Dropbox awaits you!
This section lists options that can be used to view responses.
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 5 Discussion
Main Idea (graded)
Please read Week 5, Reading Module #3 and tell me:
• why the main idea is important
• what the Three-Step Method is for identifying the main idea.
Watch the video and do the On Your Own Exercise #4. (It's in Doc Sharing/Week 5)
In your e-book,
Read page 588, What is a Main Idea (It's at the bottom of the page.) Also read, Identifying the topic and tell me:
• What's the question you need to ask yourself to find the topic?
• Do Exercise 1, Identifying the Topic of a Sentence
Read page 592, Identifying the Controlling Idea and tell me:
• What's the question you need to ask yourself to help you identify the controlling thought or the author's focus?
• Do Exercise 2, Identifying the Controlling Idea of a Paragraph.
Read page 593, Understanding Stated Main Ideas.
• Do Exercise #4 on page 596. (Skip Exercise #3)
Read page 605, Use Your Strategies 1(It's in the middle of the page)
• Do what they ask you to do at the beginning: Define the italicized word in each paragraph and the main idea of each paragraph. Do all 10 of them.
Read, Have a Good Night on page 607.
• Follow the instructions at the end of the essay, Use Your Strategies 2 Questions.
I hope you find these exercises useful! Of course you will eventually put your work in the Dropbox.
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 6 Discussion
The Reading Module #4 (graded)
Greetings! On the final exam, you will need to identify whether the main idea in a paragraph is stated or unstated. Therefore, I suggest you pay close attention to this Reading Module #4. (You'll find it in Doc Sharing/Week 6).
• Tell me the three questions you need to ask to help identify the unstated main idea.
• Do On Your Own #4. Thanks!
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 7 Discussion 1
A Little Essay! (graded)
Please write a short essay about one of the following topics:
• Online classes versus conventional classes
• Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars
• Time management
• (Whatever you want!)
I look forward to reading what you have to say!
ENGL 092 DeVry Week 7 Discussion 2
Practice Exam (graded)
After completing your Practice Exam (download the exam from Doc Sharing), discuss any areas where you had problems. What questions do you have before you take the Final Exam?
Make sure you also read and react to others’ posts in this Discussion.
Thanks! "Reading Module #2".
• Women are from Venus, Men are f