What email address or phone number would you like to use to sign in to Docs.com?
If you already have an account that you use with Office or other Microsoft services, enter it here.
Or sign in with:
Signing in allows you to download and like content, and it provides the authors analytical data about your interactions with their content.
Embed code for: StudyGuide_Chapter4_pgs63-79_FurTraders&Missionaries
Select a size
Week of March 14th – 18th
WA State History Chapter 4 – Fur Traders & Missionaries
Read your textbook pgs. 63-79
Watch the three videos: (Send Mrs. V. a kmail if you cannot view these resources!)
“Mankind – The Story of All of Us – Fur Trade” (3 min) http://www.history.com/shows/mankind-the-story-of-all-of-us/videos/fur-trade
“History Channel - The Fur Trade Shapes the West” (3 min) http://www.history.com/topics/us-states/oregon/videos/the-fur-trade-shapes-the-west
“The Whitman Massacre” (9:30 min) http://safeshare.tv/w/RnZqDkvWXs
Questions - Fur Traders: (pg. 65-71)
Which two countries engaged in the inland fur trade of the Pacific Northwest?
What animal did Northwest fur traders prefer? What kind of clothing did they make with the furs?
Complete the chart below
The North West Company Hudson’s Bay Company Pacific Fur Company Rocky Mountain Fur Company When & Where it was founded Tip: Page 69: Section titled: “Astoria & the Pacific Fur Co.”:
The Where: 2nd Paragraph of the section
The When: 3rd Paragraph of the section- Use your detective & inferring skills! Important person/people One unique fact/information
4. What is one way the fur traders paved the way for a wave of settlers who would come later?
5. How did the successes of fur traders ultimately lead to their decline?
(Think about what the fur traders hunted and what happened to these animals over time?)
Questions -Missionaries (page 71-79)
6. Name 3 religions that sent missionaries to the Pacific Northwest in the early 1800s:
7. What were 3 functions (purposes) served by missionaries?
8. The fur traders came first. The missionaries followed. Although the two groups were very different, in many ways they had a similar long-term impact. Read
Missionaries Fur Traders What motivated them to go west? What impact did they have on Native Americans? What lasting impact did they have on the Northwest?
(What evidence do you see that they were here?)
9. Look at your chart: What is one way fur traders and missionaries were the same?
10. Look at your chart: What is one way fur traders and missionaries were different?
Jason Lee and the Methodist Mission (72-73)
11. What was the original intention of the Lee mission? What did the mission end up doing instead?
The Whitman Party (73-78)
12. What led Marcus Whitman to marry Narcissa Prentiss? (Make sure to watch the video)
13. What was significant about Marcus Whitman’s ability to guide a four-wheeled wagon across the Rockies?
14. What are two things that led to disintegrating relationships between the Whitmans and the Cayuse people? (The movie clip will help with this!) http://safeshare.tv/w/RnZqDkvWXs
15. What were some of the long-lasting effects of the Whitman “Massacre?” (page 78)
16. What were two of the advantages that Catholic missionaries had over their Protestant counterparts?
17. Take a moment to consider the point of view of the Native Americans of the Northwest.
Use complete sentences and restate the question in your answer:
How do you think the Native Americans viewed the missionaries? Why didn’t many native people convert to Christianity?